Lima in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Allen County, Ohio
Allen County was originally Indian territory not opened for settlement until 1817, and was formally surveyed in 1820. County government was organized in 1831 and with the improvement of roads, settlers came and established communities in every part of Allen County. The soil was rich and there were natural springs and salt licks. The greatest single factor in its development was the discovery of oil in 1885 and for a time, the Lima oil fields were the nations [sic] most productive. Allen County consists of 410 square miles. It includes two cities, eight incorporated villages and twelve townships.
Location. 40° 44.571′ N, 84° 6.311′ W. Marker is in Lima, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North Street (Ohio Route 81), on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is near the SE corner of the Allen County Courthouse grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Lima OH 45801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Bell (a few steps from this marker); Allen County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Faurot Opera House Ohio's First Electric Street Car Line (about 500 feet away); Site Of Lima's First Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Servicemen's Free Canteen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lima.
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Natural Resources • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,101 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.