Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jewish Section of Riverdale Cemetery
The earliest recorded Jewish burials in Columbus were in historic Linwood Cemetery and in the Raphael Moses family cemetery, Esquiline. When the City of Columbus established Riverdale Cemetery in 1890, Temple Israel purchased a piece of this property which became known as the “Jewish Section.” City Council notes of October 8, 1891 show that Mr. H. Sternberg, Treasurer of Temple Israel, paid fifty dollars as the first installment for half of Section Two. In 1896, the Ladies Aid Society noted that the Temple voted for a fence to be erected around this section of Riverdale Cemetery.
Two other sections in Riverdale, both owned by the Shearith Israel Congregation, are also set aside for Jewish burials. A brick wall with a wrought iron gate, located on the northeast boundary of the property, marks one of these areas. Within its confines is the Kravtin Garden, given in 1997 in memory of Maurice Kravtin. Temple Israel and Shearith Israel still own and maintain all three Jewish sections. Many generations of prominent Columbus Jewish families are buried here.
Erected 2009 by Lawrence S. Rosenstrauch, Jr., Ann Rosenstrauch Kingsbury, the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc. in memory of Laurette
Location. 32° 26.949′ N, 84° 58.76′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on VIctory Drive (U.S. 27) 0.1 miles south of 10th Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located on the road leading into the cemetery from Victory Drive. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Victory Drive, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Riverdale Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Moses Dallas: Confederate Naval Pilot/American Slave (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Siege Gun (about 700 feet away); Circus Train Wreck Memorial (about 700 feet away); Hero's Memorial (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Oglethorpe Meets the Indians at Coweta (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fourth Street Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mildred L. Terry Branch Library (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 11, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.