Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

St. Charles Hotel

 
 
St. Charles Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris English, August 30, 2009
1. St. Charles Hotel Marker
Inscription. One of the oldest continuously operating hotels in the state. It is composed of two hotels. The three story St. Charles and the two story Muller House next door south. Construction of both buildings took place in 1862 with completion in August of that year. Geo. Remington, Al Muller Dan Plitt were the first proprietors. In September, Charlie Slicer became the first bar owner serving the finest spirits money could buy. As one of the most elegant hotels in the state it became the main stage stop in Carson CIty. The best known and most popular owner was George Tufly, a banker and man about town who had it from 1866 to 1875. It has had many other owners since. It is currently listed in the National Register of Historic Places of the United States.
Dedicated this 25th Day of August
5989 by the
Snowshoe Thompson Chapter #1827
of the Ancient and Honourable order of E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1984 by Snowshoe Thompson Chapter #1827 E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 9.752′ N, 119° 46.029′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd Street and
St. Charles Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Chris English, August 30, 2009
2. St. Charles Hotel
Marker is visible on the north wall corner facing the photographer.
Carson Street (Business U.S. 395), on the right when traveling west on West 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the NE corner of the building on the north wall, facing 3rd street and the Pony Express Station Marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 South Carson Street, Carson City NV 89701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carson City (a few steps from this marker); Kit Carson 1843 – 44 (within shouting distance of this marker); Abraham Van Santvoord Curry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevadaís Capitol (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Carson City (about 600 feet away); Olcovich-Meyers House (about 600 feet away); Rinckel Mansion (about 600 feet away); Historic Fraternal Site of Carson City (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Charles – Mullerís Hotel. The St. Charles, named after well-reputed hotels back East, was billed by its builders as a first-class hotel, "the pleasantest resort in Carson and where everything kept by the bar is the best quality." (Submitted on October 5, 2009.) 

2. The St. Charles Hotel. Carsonpedia online encyclopedia article on the St. Charles Hotel. (Submitted on October 5, 2009.) 

3. Photos of the St. Charles Hotel - National Register of Historic Places
St. Charles Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Unknown
3. St. Charles Hotel
Courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places
. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 27, 1982. (Submitted on October 5, 2009.) 
 
Additional keywords. Hotels
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2009, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,133 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2009, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.   3. submitted on October 5, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement