Ephrata in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Brothers’ House Complex
The Brothers' House (Bethania) was built on this site in the spring of 1746. Although it is difficult to determine the actual height of the building, the Brothers' House was probably a four-and-one-half story half-timber structure that measured seventy-four feet long from east to west and thirty-four feet wide from north to south. The Chronicon, the communal society's diary, tells us: “The house was so durably joined together by posts, beams, and joists that you will hardly find its equal in North America. All this carpenter work was finished in thirty-five days.”
The Brother's Meetinghouse (Saal) was erected in November 1746 using the lumber remaining from the construction of the Brothers' House. Again, the building's exact height is not known but the Chronicon notes: “This was a stately building, containing a meeting hall for the community, specially ornamented with Gothic letters, besides galleries and halls for love feasts. After these buildings had been so well completed under the blessing of God, the Brethren moved into their new convent, called Bethany, where their different domiciles were distributed to them by lot.” The Meetinghouse was razed sometime prior to the Civil War and the Brothers' House was demolished around 1908.
Sixty-five feet south of the southeast corner
Location. 40° 10.976′ N, 76° 11.223′ W. Marker is in Ephrata, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Ephrata Cloister [632 W. Main Street (US Route 322)], about 150 feet south of the Beissel House. Marker is in this post office area: Ephrata PA 17522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Conrad Beissel (within shouting distance of this marker); Ephrata Cloister (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Ephrata Cloister (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Cocalico Township Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); East Cocalico Township World War II Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pioneer Settler / Founder of Reamstown (approx. 3.9 miles away); East Cocalico Township Korean War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Reamstown (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ephrata.
Also see . . . The Brothers' House. (Submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Peace • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,104 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.