White Plains in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Most of the great men of early Methodism were identified with this church. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here several times and, in 1808 when the South Carolina Conference met here, he and Bishop William McKendree attended. At Liberty Chapel, Rev. Lovick Pierce was ordained an elder and Bishop William Capers admitted as a preacher on trial.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-11.)
Marker series. Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 26.148′ N, 83° 8.442′ W. Marker is in White Plains, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is on Liberty Church Road 0.1 miles south of Lanier Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Plains GA 30678, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Plains Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Famous Indian Trail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Shoulder-bone Creek Treaty (approx. 7˝ miles away); “July” 1858 (approx. 8.3 miles away); Turnwold Plantation (approx. 8.7 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 8.8 miles away); Rockville School (approx. 8.8 miles away); Philadelphia United Methodist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 27, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.