Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hot Springs in Madison County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dorland - Bell Institute

 
 
Dorland - Bell Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
1. Dorland - Bell Institute Marker
Inscription. Founded as Dorland Institute in 1887 by Dr. and Mrs. Luke Dorland. Taken over by Presbyterian Church U.S.A. in 1893. Became Dorland-Bell Institute in 1918 when consolidated with Bell Institute from Jewell Hill. Moved to Asheville in 1942 as part of Warren-Wilson College.
 
Location. 35° 53.536′ N, 82° 49.704′ W. Marker is in Hot Springs, North Carolina, in Madison County. Marker is on Bridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 Bridge St, Hot Springs NC 28743, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Balladry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hot Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warm Springs Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paint Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tennessee / North Carolina (approx. 5 miles away in Tennessee); " Shelton Laurel Massacre " (approx. 5.6 miles away); Frances Goodrich (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hot Springs.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 9, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of Dorland - Bell Institute. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement