Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Shuler House
Of the inns that were established in Pottstown in Colonial times that survived until Civil War days, The Farmer's Hotel (fondly remembered by local residents as The Shuler House) proved to be the most enduring. Built in the 1700's, the inn's original name is lost in history. In 1826, Joshua Missimer, a new owner, named it The Farmer's Hotel. It served as a stagecoach stop until 1842 when the railroad arrived.
William Shuler, Jr. purchased the inn in 1874 for $25,000, changed the name to The Shuler House, tore down the century-old rear structure on the west end and built a more substantial edifice. After his death his wife and son completed the renovations that gave it much of its latter day appearance.
In 1920, a new group of owners, The Shuler House Hotel & Garage Co. enlarged the eastern end for The Cafe Gladwyn and converted the stables in the back to a garage for the motor company. In 1942, Stanley Chaplin bought the hotel, put in a circular bar and basically gutted and remodeled the interior. Chaplin operated The Hotel Shuler until 1949 when the Govatos family purchased it. They were the owners until it closed on March 29, 1975, when the Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority paid them $310,000 for the hotel. Efforts were made to prevent its demolition, but to no avail. The area remained a vacant lot until
—David R. Kerns
Erected 2002 by The Govatos Family and Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.745′ N, 75° 39.083′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in the Smith Family Plaza, about 300 feet north of the former Reading Railroad passenger station. Marker is in this post office area: Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Security Trust Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Passenger Station (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Clair Mansion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Iron Bridge (about 400 feet away); The Pottstown News (about 400 feet away); The Elks Home (about 500 feet away); Freight Station - AAA East Penn (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pottstown.
1. Mary and Theodora Govatos
Mary and Theodora Govatos owned the Shuler House until March 1975
When we were young children, they allowed us to play throughout the hotel. As we grew older we were taught how to use the switch board, set tables, clean rooms and deliver to guests. I will always remember how above the tables hung a huge sword fish and the pink and blue lights that wrapped around the bar. The kitchen and the smell of food. The basement and all the hiding places it held. It was a sad day when the hotel had to be sold and torn down.
— Submitted September 29, 2014, by Tracy A. Queen of Atlanta, Georgia.
2. Replacement of Pottstown Historical Markers
The Pottstown Historical Society has announced plans for 2017 to replace the existing markers, which are beginning to show their many years of outdoor exposure. We'll be working with Patrizi Signs in Pottstown, the shop involved in the
— Submitted April 22, 2017, by Deb Penrod of Pottstown, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.