Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hall County Sesquicentennial

 
 
Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 22, 2005
1. Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker
Inscription. In memory of the pioneer citizens who gave a great heritage to this area, this plaque was presented December 19, 1968 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the creation of Hall County, 44th county of Georgia. Named for Lyman Hall, one of the three signers of the Declaration of Independence from Georgia, Hall County was created from territory originally a part of the Cherokee nation and from land in Franklin and Jackson Counties by Act of the General Assembly of Georgia dated December 19, 1818. Neighboring counties Habersham, Gwinnett and Walton were created by the same Act.
 
Erected 1968 by Hall County Historical Society. (Marker Number HCHS-1.)
 
Location. 34° 18.663′ N, 83° 49.625′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Street NE (Georgia Route 60) and Riverside Drive (U.S. 129), on the right when traveling north on Green Street NE. Touch for map. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Gainesville Civic Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 830 Green Street NE, Gainesville GA 30501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Home of General James Longstreet (approx. mile away); Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler
Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker in front of the Gainesville Civic Center image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
2. Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker in front of the Gainesville Civic Center
(approx. 0.7 miles away); George Washington (approx. mile away); Federal Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Private Mint Templeton Reid Mint (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. 0.8 miles away); U.D.C. Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lt.-Gen. James Longstreet (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
 
Also see . . .  Hall County. The Wikipedia entry for Hall County. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USNative AmericansPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker in front of the Gainesville Civic Center image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
3. Hall County Sesquicentennial Marker in front of the Gainesville Civic Center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on December 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement