Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The James Rumsey Bridge / The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg
Named in honor of the inventor James Rumsey, who made successful public demonstrations of his steamboat on the Potomac River on December 3 and 11, 1787. Opened and dedicated on July 15, 1939..
(East Facing Side):
Three miles northeast of this point lies Sharpsburg, Maryland, the scene of the bloodiest conflict of the War Between the States, occurring September 17, 1862.
Erected by Washington County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 26.287′ N, 77° 47.799′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Shepherdstown Pike (Maryland Route 34) and Canal Road, on the right when traveling south on Shepherdstown Pike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackford’s Ford (a few steps from this marker); Swearingen’s Ferry and Pack Horse Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferry Hill Place (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferry Hill Ferry Hill Place (about 500 feet away); A View into the Past (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Blackford's Ford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shepherdstown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . . James Rumsey Birthplace Marker. (Submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,531 times since then and 175 times this year. Last updated on October 11, 2009. Photos: 1. submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on October 11, 2009. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on July 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.