Near Elnora in Daviess County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wabash and Erie Canal
A canal from Terre Haute to Evansville authorized 1846. Maysville Division along White River was over 23 miles long from Newberry through Owl Prairie (now Elnora) to Maysville; part of it paralleled what is now S.R. 57. Contracts were let June 1849. Construction was delayed by cholera outbreaks among workers, many of whom were Irish immigrants.
Navigation between Newberry and Maysville opened June 1852. By 1853, Wabash and Erie Canal, America's longest at approximately 460 miles, linked Lake Erie at Toledo, Ohio with Ohio River at Evansville. By 1860, most of southern section no longer used because of repair costs and railroad competition. Entire canal in Indiana sold at auction 1876.
Erected 2007 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Elmore Township Community Association, Inc. (Marker Number 14.2007.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers, and the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 38° 52.506′ N, 87° 5.434′ W. Marker is near Elnora, Indiana, in Daviess County. Marker is on State Road 58 west of State Road 57, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in a gravel depression - on
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odon, Formerly Clarksburg (approx. 6.1 miles away); Odon Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Homer E. Capehart / GOP Cornfield Conference (approx. 10.6 miles away); Richland-Plummer Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 11.6 miles away); Greene County (Indiana ) War Memorial (approx. 13.3 miles away); Veterans of All Conflicts (approx. 13.3 miles away); The Martin County Guards / Never to be Forgotten (approx. 16.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. "The men who dug the Canal". A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the "Angel of the Canal" for her care of the ill. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
4. Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB). The IHB provides reference notes on the text of this marker. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.