Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The White House Tract was divided into lots and became the town of Harrisburg which was eventually absorbed by Augusta. On the northern end of the tract near where the White House stood, the first Augusta Arsenal was built in 1819, and the Augusta Canal was built across it in 1843. This canal provided power for three textile mills and the Confederate Powder Works built on the White House Tract.
One of the most lasting of monuments built on the tract is the Harris-Pearson-Walker House, c. 1797, which was restored in the 1950’s
Erected 1978 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 121-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The marker stands at the edge of the parking lot for the Ezekiel Harris House Museum, which faces Broad Street (1822 Broad Street). The parking lot is reached off Welch Lane, which runs behind the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1822 Broad Street, Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Obelisk-Chimney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Explosion At The Confederate Powder Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Confederate States Powder Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Powder Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dennis Cahill (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding White HouseTract. For many years the Ezekiel Harris house was throught to be the White House, where 13 wounded American patriots were hanged by the British in 1780. Later research proved that the White House no longer stands, and that the Harris house was
Also see . . . Ezekiel Harris House. Information on the Ezekiel Harris House Musuem. (Submitted on October 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.