Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

“ Let There Be Light “

 

—Indiana Territory's First Newspaper —

 
" Let There Be Light " Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
1. " Let There Be Light " Marker
Inscription. Site of print shop where Elihu Stout (1782 - 1860), Past Grand Master of Masons in Indiana, established Indiana Territory's first newspaper, summer 1804. Originally The Indiana Gazette, it was renamed The Western Sun July 4, 1807.
 
Erected 1975 by The Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of Indiana.
 
Location. 38° 40.936′ N, 87° 31.779′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is on North 1st Street east of Buntin Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Knox, First Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Old French House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Bank of Indiana (about 700 feet away); Ellis Mansion (about 700 feet away); The Grand Opera House (about 800 feet away); Home of Francis Vigo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Niblack Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chief Tecumseh (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
 
Categories. CommunicationsEducationNotable EventsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Obverse Side - - " Let There Be Light " Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
2. Obverse Side - - " Let There Be Light " Marker
Wide View  - - " Let There Be Light " Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
3. Wide View - - " Let There Be Light " Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement