Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Commissary - R.R. Depot
Babcock's warehouse and cotton shed were located to your right on the bluff overlooking the river. The family home, kitchen, and garden stood between this store and the warehouse.
In 1860 the Babcock family sold the land between this sign and Capitol Street to the Cahawba, Marion and Greensboro Railroad Company for a train depot. Railroad tracks had been laid directly down Capitol Street in 1858.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 19.044′ N, 87° 5.784′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Vine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Capitol Avenue, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vine Street (a few steps from this marker); Cahaba First State Capital (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Alabama's First Statehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Saltmarsh Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Footprint of a Church (about 300 feet away); A Prison Chimney? (about 400 feet away); Major Hiram Solon Hanchett (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,619 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.