Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Madison County Historic Home

 
 
Madison County Historic Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mbowyer, April 1, 2006
1. Madison County Historic Home Marker
Inscription. The home is located on Lot 3 of the original plat presented by President Monroe in 1823 as Andersontown by William Conner, son-in-law of Chief Kikthawenund (Chief Anderson). Here Captain John Berry built a log cabin. In 1865 Alfred Makepeace erected a dwelling which forms the East wing. In 1871 Moses Cherry started a French Second Empire Townhouse which forms the West wing. Martin Gruenewald finished the townhouse in 1873.
 
Erected 1976 by Anderson Council of Women, registered with the National Register of Historic Places. (Marker Number 76000028.)
 
Location. 40° 6.587′ N, 85° 40.69′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and East 6th Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 626 Main Street, Anderson IN 46016, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Madison County Veterans' Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Public Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic West Eighth Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Methodist Church in Anderson Was Built Here
The historic house. image. Click for full size.
By Mbowyer
2. The historic house.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); The Anderson Street Railway (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,088 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 7, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana.   2. submitted on April 12, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement