Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Occoquan

 
 
Occoquan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1. Occoquan Marker
Inscription. Captain John Smith explored this region in 1608. The town of Occoquan began with the opening of a tobacco warehouse on the shore of the Occoquan River in 1734. Occoquan grew as the focus of the commercial and manufacturing activities of John Ballendine, who had an iron furnace, forge, and sawmills at the falls of the river before 1759. After the American Revolution, Occoquan emerged as a flour-manufacturing center with one of the nationís first gristmills to use the laborsaving inventions of Oliver Evans. In 1804, Occoquan was established as a town and thrived as a commercial and industrial center into the 1920s.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-59.)
 
Location. 38° 39.926′ N, 77° 14.635′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Annapolis Way, on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Land Patents (here, next to this marker); The First Courthouse of Prince William County
Occoquan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
2. Occoquan Marker
There are four other markers here, The First Courthouse of Prince William County, Early Land Patents, Fairfax County / Prince William County, and Jefferson Davis Highway.
(here, next to this marker); Fairfax County / Prince William County (here, next to this marker); Colchester (approx. half a mile away); Belmont Bay ~ End of the Water (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Beehive Brick Kiln (approx. 1.2 miles away); Women Suffrage Prisoners at Occoquan Workhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1804 Occoquan Town Plat (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
 
Also see . . .  History of Occoquan. Compiled by Nellie Curtis - published in the May 1993 newsletter of Historic Prince William. (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Earlier Marker
This marker replaces a previous marker, erected in 1927. The previous marker read:
The Occoquan
Near here in 1608 Captain John Smith found the "King's House" of the Doeg Indians. In 1729, "King" Carter built a landing here to ship copper ore. A town called Colchester was established here in 1753. Occoquan, to the west, was founded
Jefferson Davis Highway - Virginia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White
3. Jefferson Davis Highway - Virginia Marker
(Top of Marker)
Jefferson Davis Highway - Virginia

(Front of Marker)
Erected by the Fourth District
Virginia Division
United Daughters of the Confederacy
1933
in 1804. On December 27, 1862, Wade Hampton raided Occoquan.
    — Submitted February 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,319 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement