Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
King Haiglar Tower
Some time between 1815 and 1826, J.B. Mathieu executed this 5'1" iron effigy of King Haiglar and presented it to the town. It has stood as a weather vane at other locations since then and was placed here when the Opera House (since razed) and its tower were built in 1886.
A copy of Mathieu's likeness of King Haiglar stands atop City Hall, built in 1955.
Erected 1977 by City of Camden.
Location. 34° 14.676′ N, 80° 36.409′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (State Highway 521) and Rutledge Street on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E.H. Dibble Store / Eugene H. Dibble (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The De Kalb Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baruch Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mather Academy The Bishop Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Richard Kirkland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gaol (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 3. submitted on June 18, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on June 18, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 7. submitted on December 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on August 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.