Near Morris in Quitman County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Union United Methodist Church
Organized as a non-denominational church in 1837, Union United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Quitman County. Thirty-four charter members constituted its initial membership. Among them were Mrs. George Ellis, the first charter member, and Mrs. Adelyn Lee Crumbley, who donated the land for the original church. The present 1867 structure replaces the original log building. Trustees in 1867 were: Abraham Shields, John Phillips, Thomas S. Bryant, James W. Lewis, and James Suggs.
The church building is surrounded by a cemetery. The oldest marked graves date from the 1850's. The present land was purchased from J. J. Crumbley and the deed was recorded in 1865. Homemade church benches are still in use. The communion table, assembled with pegs by Jehu Phillips, was used until the 1960's. Union Church is in the Georgetown charge and remains active.
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 31° 52.533′ N, 84° 56.25′ W. Marker is near Morris, Georgia, in Quitman County. Marker is on County Route 84 near Springvale Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morris GA 39867, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away); Georgetown High School / Alma Mater (approx. 9.6 miles away); Georgetown (approx. 10.1 miles away); Quitman County (approx. 10.1 miles away); Quitman County’s Old Jail (approx. 10.1 miles away); Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse (approx. 10.2 miles away); Old Cotton Hill Seminary (approx. 10.2 miles away); Randolph County's First “College for Females” (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.