Simeon in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Ash Lawn – Highland
Erected 1997. (Marker Number FL-8.)
Location. 37° 58.746′ N, 78° 27.024′ W. Marker is in Simeon, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is on James Monroe Parkway (County Route 795) 0.8 miles south of Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. It is across from the entrance to the estate. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 James Monroe Pkwy, Charlottesville VA 22902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Ash Lawn - Highland (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Thomas Jefferson (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Monticello Graveyard (approx. 2.1 miles away); Charcoal (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nursery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Wood Trades (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nail-Making (approx. 2.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker dating from the 1940s with the same number but titled “Ash Lawn” with this inscription, “Home of James Monroe, fifth President of the United States, from 1799 until Oak Hill was built. The house was designed by Thomas Jefferson; the rear part was constructed under his plans, 1794–1799. The place was in a neighborhood that included Monticello and the homes of other such noted men as William Short and Philip Mazzei.”
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Ash Lawn – Highland is included as part of the Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District .
Also see . . .
1. An Account of James Monroe’s Land Holdings. “Highland was originally part of a large estate in Albemarle County called ‘Blenheim’ and owned by Champe Carter and Maria Carter, his wife. The parcel comprising Highland was conveyed from the Carters to Monroe in a 1793 deed of purchase for 1,000 pounds purchase price. Highland was bounded on the north by Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello plantation and Philip Mazzei’s plantation called Colle, located along the Colle Branch. The Rivanna River (which is named after Queen Anne) runs just to the north of Monticello, and provided an important transportation source for goods and materials being shipped to and from Richmond and the Chesapeake. The small town of Milton, just to the east of Ash Lawn-Highland, was once a transport hub along the Rivanna. Highland was bordered on the south by the Massey Creek and William Short’s 1,334 acre farm called Indian Camp (now a property called Morven). The remaining portions of the Carter’s Blenheim estate lay further to the south. Initially, the east side of Highland was bounded by the Duke plantation. The west boundary was the land of Menoah Clarkson and the top ridge of Carter’s Mountain (Submitted on August 27, 2009.)
2. Thomas Jefferson and William Short. “Unlike his more illustrious contemporaries Madison and Monroe, William Short (1759–1849), whom Jefferson referred to as his ‘adoptive son,’ never skyrocketed to political fame. Instead, after serving as Jefferson’s secretary and working as a career diplomat, he became a successful financier. He admitted that ‘nothing could be less Virginian’ than spending less than his income and investing the rest, but from what he called a ‘small patrimony,’ he eventually made himself a millionaire.” (Submitted on August 27, 2009.)
3. Ash Lawn - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on May 1, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on October 18, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 5. submitted on December 2, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 6. submitted on May 1, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 7. submitted on July 18, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.