Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
By the aid of these machines...
Erected 2009 by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 19.447′ N, 77° 43.832′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Potomac Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the old armory grounds in Harpers Ferry National Historical Site. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mere Machines of Labor (here, next to this marker); Found Underground (within Power of the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); Racing West (within shouting distance of this marker); Six Acres That Changed the World (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Joseph Perkins (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. On the lower left are drawings of machines used in the Armory. Master Armorer James Burton continued innovations at Harpers Ferry by improving the drilling machine and belt hammer machine in the 1850s. In the center is a photo of The Smith and Forging Ship, a two-story high building with a 90-foot chimney, once housed massive trip hammer machines and coal-fired forges.
On the right is a replica of a lock plate made at Harpers Ferry. Machine made parts including this hammer and lock plate were assembled together to make rifles such as the 1855 Harpers
In the lower right corner is a drawing of the rifle action. This 1850 mechanical drawing shows the assembly of interchangeable rifle hammer, trigger, and lock parts.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 625 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.