Langhorne in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Revolutionary War Burial Site
Buried here are soldiers who died from wounds suffered in the two Battles of Trenton, Dec. 1776-Jan. 1777, and from disease incurred during the harsh winter. After the battles, Washington's troops occupied four hospital buildings in this village, known then as Four Lanes End. Archaeological excavations in 1992 confirmed the fact that a burial ground existed here; written accounts indicated that around 166 soldiers were interred.
Captain William Shippen, Sr., Surgeon General-American Army on written orders from General George Washington replied that a hospital would be set up in Four Lanes End (now Langhorne, PA) on January 4, 1777. The Middletown Friends Meeting House and School, and Isaac Hicks' House and Tannery were sequestered to treat American soldiers, men from the
Second Battle of Trenton - January 2, 1777
Battle of Princeton - January 3, 1777 died here
Bodies were put four deep in wood boxes and hauled to this burial site at Bellevue and Flowers Avenues. Archeological excavation performed in 1992 revealed that 166 American soldiers only were interred on this swampy site. The hospitals were closed on May 15, 1777.
Erected 1999 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Borough of Langhorne and the New Jersey Society Sons of the Revolution.
Location. 40° 10.437′ N, 74° 55.154′ W. Marker is in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Bellevue Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 2049) and Flowers Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Bellevue Avenue. Touch for map. Marker and burial ground are about 200 feet north of Saint James Episcopal Church, 330 S. Bellevue Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Langhorne PA 19047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Archaeology and History (a few steps from this marker); Mollie Woods Hare (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Middletown Township World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Birthplace of Edward Hicks Langhorne Speedway (approx. 1.8 miles away); Playwicky Indian Town (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Playwicki Farm Labyrinth (approx. 2.7 miles away); Durham Road Milestone (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Langhorne.
Also see . . . Revolutionary War Burial Site - Behiind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Heroes • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,909 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.