Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

John Wright Stanly House

 
 
John Wright Stanly House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
1. John Wright Stanly House Marker
Inscription. Home of Revolutionary War leader; and his son John, Congressman & state legislator. House moved and restored 1966-70 by the Tryon Palace Commission.
 
Erected 1970 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number C-1.)
 
Location. 35° 6.448′ N, 77° 2.667′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is on George Street just north of Pollock Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28562, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named John Wright Stanly House (a few steps from this marker); Washington's Southern Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tryon Palace (about 300 feet away); James Walker Hood (about 400 feet away); Attmore-Oliver House (about 600 feet away); George H. White (about 600 feet away); New Bern Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bern.
 
Also see . . .  John Wright Stanley House. More information, and pictures, hosted by the Tryon Palace Historic Sites and Gardens. (Submitted on October 22, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
John Wright Stanley House image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
2. John Wright Stanley House
View from near the marker.
 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable BuildingsPatriots & Patriotism
 
A related John Wright Stanly House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
3. A related John Wright Stanly House Marker
Built ca. 1779-1783 by J. W. Stanly, wealthy merchant and ship-owner. The house originally stood on the southwest corner of New and Middle Streets. It was moved to this site in 1966.
This separate marker was placed by the Tryon Palace Historic Sites and Gardens.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,317 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 20, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement