Near Shelby in Cleveland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
From this site Mr. Q. H. Metcalfe supervised section crews for the Lawndale Railway and Industrial Company, 1899-1943.
Erected by Lawndale Historical Society.
Location. 35° 21.486′ N, 81° 34.308′ W. Marker is near Shelby, North Carolina, in Cleveland County. Marker is at the intersection of Polkville Road (State Highway 226) and Ramseur Church Road (State Highway 1811), on the right when traveling north on Polkville Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2240 Polkville Road, Shelby NC 28150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. J. Cash (approx. 4.8 miles away); O. Max Gardner (approx. 4.8 miles away); Thomas Dixon Jr. (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cleveland County Korean and Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cleveland County Civil War Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cleveland County World War I Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Cleveland County World War II Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Plato Durham (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shelby.
Regarding Metcalfe Station.
Also see . . .
1. Lawndale Historical Society site. (Submitted on October 22, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
2. Lawndale Railway and Industrial Company. Click the more Lawndale button for further info on this site. (Submitted on October 22, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
1. Actual Metcalfe Station Brochure
Approximately five miles north of Shelby on Highway 226N sits the old Metcalfe Station. For most of the life of the Lawndale Railway and Industrial Company, the Metcalfe served as a stop between Lawndale and Shelby for the narrow gauge railway which ran from Lawndale through Double Shoals, down a portion of Highway 226 into Shelby. Quincy Hague Metcalfe supervised the section crews for the company which was in existence from 1899 to 1943. The railway served as a means for the Lawndale Mill to get supplies and to send supplies out to Shelby, NC. It also served as a passenger train for those who might need a way to Shelby. The train was the foresight of Major Henry F. Schenck who brought textiles to a new height in Cleveland County and in
The Lawndale Railway and Industrial Company operated the train and the mill and the town grew around it. As Quincy Hague Metcalfe supervised the section crews for the railway, he had some extra time on his hands and saw the need for a gas filling station to supply gas for the new automobiles people were buying. The old dirt roads began to be occupied by more cars and fewer horses, mules and wagons. The filling station was serviced with Texaco gasoline and the Texaco dealership provided the visible gas pumps and the Texaco sign. The original Texaco sign has been kept in the Metcalfe family and was donated back to the restoration project by Don Metcalfe. The shepherd hook sign post had gone
The original visible gas pump had gone with time, but an area visible gas pump from the A.L. "Oss" Spangler farm has been donated by Don Dedmon of Asphalt Paving, and restored. It will actually pump that 10 cent gas. Children of all ages may actually pump liquid free of charge as a demostration. The original boxcar sitting on the site sits on original Lawndale Dummy trucks(wheels) donated by Ralph Spangler. A narrow gauge train, the boxcar rests on original rails and on crossties cut to size from measurements of a remaining crosstie that escaped the passing of time.
— Submitted October 22, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,343 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on October 22, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.