Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Knox County Veterans Memorial Park
Welcome to the Knox County Veterans’ Memorial Park. The monuments that stand before you are dedicated to the memory of all the military veterans from Knox County.
Most prominent is the “Soldiers and Sailors Civil War monument. Completed in 1914 and restored in 2008, it is dedicated to all Knox County veterans of the Civil War. Two hundred thousand Indiana citizens joined the Union War effort. Over two thousand of these citizens came from Knox County. They formed companies that served in the 14th, 21st (1st Heavy Artillery) 26th, 22rd, 51, 65th, 80th, 120th, and the 143rd Infantry Regiments. In addition, twelve African American men from Vincennes and Knox County joined the 55th Massachusetts Infantry, sister unit to the 54th Mass., upon which the movie “Glory” is based. Others served in the 28th and 30th United States Colored Troops.
Soldiers from Knox County fought in most major battles of the Civil War including Shiloh, Antietam, Perrysville, Stone’s River, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, Olustee, the Wilderness, Petersburg, Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, and Mobile Bay. Their most important action was on the evening of July 2, 1863, when the men of the 14th Indiana, in hand-to-hand combat, assisted in repulsing the Confederate charge on Cemetery Hill at Gettysburg.
( Lower Right Section )
The monument was created by a petition of the citizens of Knox County in 1910-11. The successful petition led to the Knox County Council appropriating $50,000 to create the structure. The monument was designed by C. N. Clark and Company and built by the Terre haute Monument Company. The monument was completed and dedicated on October 8, 1914. The monument stands almost 90 feet tall. The five bronze sculptures were designed by world recognized sculptor Rudolph Schwarz. Schwarz also designed the sculptures on the Soldiers and Sailors Civil War monument in Indianapolis.
Over the years the monument fell into disrepair. Following a lighting strike, it was dismantled in 2004. Efforts to raise the money for its restoration began immediately. Thanks to the Knox County Council, the Knox County Commissioners, the Vincennes / Knox County Preservation Foundation, Inc., the Vincennes / Knox County Historical and Antiquarian Society, and the citizens of Knox County, $250,000 was raised and restoration began in 2007. The restoration was completed and the monument rededicated on July 4, 2008.
Erected 2008 by Vincennes / Knox County Preservation Foundation.
Location. Touch for map. located on the North East corner of the Knox County Courthouse lawn in Vincennes, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knox County (Indiana) Gold Star Honor Roll (here, next to this marker); Knox County (Indiana) Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Mary Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana (about 800 feet away); Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (about 800 feet away); Vincennes' Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Niblack Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Additional keywords. Veterans/War Memorials
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.