Near Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Hart House
Rich Mountain Battleﬁeld
"The surgeons were amputating and dressing wounds... there are a great many limbs being taken off the wounded soldiers."
Union soldier at Hart House.
Location. 38° 51.959′ N, 79° 56.004′ W. Marker is near Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Rich Mountain Road / Files Creek Road (County Route 37-8), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the Rich Mountain Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General William S. Rosecrans (a few steps from this marker); Rich Mountain / Hart House (a few steps from this marker); The Stable Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Rich Mountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Rich Mountain Artillery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camp Garnett (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fortifications (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of the Hart House, c. 1880's. Badly damaged by battle, the log house was later covered with wood siding. The Harts lost fences, crops and livestock to war. On the right is a portrait of David Hart. David Hart, 22-year old son of Joseph, guided the Federal march up Rich Mountain. Later, David joined an Indiana regiment that had been engaged here. He died of illness in 1862.
Also see . . . David Hart. From the Rich Mountain Battlefield site. Details of David's involvement in the battle. (Submitted on October 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.