Prairie du Chien in Crawford County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
War of 1812
During the War of 1812, Gov. William Clark of Missouri recognized the strategic importance of Prairie du Chien's location, and sent about 150 soldiers to build a fort here. When it was dedicated June 19, 1814, the American flag was raised for the first time over a Wisconsin fort.
Pro-British residents alerted the British at Mackinac and a force of 150 militia and 400 Indians was quickly sent to Prairie du Chien. Fort Shelby was compelled to surrender on July 20 and was re-named Fort McKay by the British.
When the war ended, the British burned the fort and withdrew to Mackinac. The Americans began construction of another fort July 3, 1816, and named it Fort Crawford. This reconstructed blockhouse marks one corner of the first Fort Crawford.
Erected 1964 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 142.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 3.426′ N, 91° 9.518′ Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of Villa Louis Historic Site; admission required. Marker is at or near this postal address: 521 North Villa Louis Road, Prairie du Chien WI 53821, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Villa Louis (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Prairie du Chien (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pere Marquette and Sieur Jolliet (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.9 miles away); L'ancien Cimetiere Francais (approx. one mile away); Site of the Second Fort Crawford (approx. 1.2 miles away); Black Hawk's Surrender (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie du Chien.
Also see . . . The War of 1812 in Wisconsin. The Battle of Prairie du Chien: Historical Synopsis. (Submitted on October 24, 2009.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,219 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on June 24, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.