Kilfenora in County Clare, Munster, Ireland — Irish South-West
Historic Kilfenora / Cill Fhionnúrach Stairiúil
The monastery of Kilfenora or Chill Fhionnúrach (the church of the white brow) is said to have been founded in the 6th century by St. Fachnan. The outline of the early monastic circular enclosure can still be traced in the curve of the roads to the south and west of the cathedral.
The early history of the site is obscure, with the first historical reference occurring in 1055 when the stone church at the site was burned. The material remains, in particular the group of sculpted stone crosses, suggest that the monastery flourished from the end of the 11th century. By 1152, it had become sufficiently prominent to be made the see of a diocese at the reforming synod of Kells-Mellifont, its territory corresponding to the sub-kingdom of Corcu Modruad. However, as one of the smallest diocese in the country, Kilfenora seldom enjoyed great prosperity, and from the 18th century both the Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic diocese were merged with a number of other diocesan sees.
Cill Fhionnúrach Stairiúil
Deirtear gur bhunaigh Naomh Fachnan Mainistir Chill Fhionnúrach san 6ú haois is féidir imlíne an imfhálaithe chiorclaigh den luathmhaínistir a rianú go fóill i gcuar na mbóithre ó dheas agus siar ón mainistir féin.
Tá luath stair an tsuímh doiléir go maith, leis
Erected by Office of Public Works / Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí.
Location. 52° 59.435′ N, 9° 13.034′ W. Marker is in Kilfenora, Munster, in County Clare. Touch for map. Marker is on the south cathedral wall next to the building entrance, about 125 feet west from Pound Road. The cathedral is adjacent to The Burren Centre, located at Pound Road and Main Street (R481).
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Kilfenora Cathedral and High Crosses (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,398 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2009.