Near Hendersonville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Davidson County/Sumner County
Sumner County. Established 1786; named in honor of Major Gen. Jethro Sumner. Officer in French and Indian War; in the Battles of Brandywine and Germantown; and in the Army at Valley Forge. His last service was in the defense of North Carolina against Cornwallis.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 18.567′ N, 86° 40.35′ W. Marker is near Hendersonville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on U.S. 31E, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison TN 37115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mansker Creek (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bowen Plantation House (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Long Hunters (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mansker's Station Free Hill Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mansker’s First Fort (approx. 1.9 miles away); William Bowen House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Battle of Cowan’s Ford. (Submitted on September 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • War, French and Indian • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,858 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2007, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.