Near Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Waxhaw Presbyterian Church Monument
Organized 1755 by Scotch-Irish
The first church in upper So. Car. This 4½ acre tract was deeded to the congregation by Robert Miller school teacher and minister, Mar.9, 1758. The first pastor was Rev. Wm. Richardson, 1759-1771. The earliest building of logs was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the Revolutionary War and was burned by the British. This, the forth, was built in 1896 and remodeled in 1942.
Tombstones in the churchyard date from 1758. Among prominent men buried here are President Andrew Jackson's father, Rev. William Richardson, Gen. William R. Davie, Rev. Patriot, founder of the University of No. Car., 1789 Governor of North Carolina , 1798, and minister to France, 1799.
Erected 1948 by Waxhaw Chapter - Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 47.346′ N, 80° 49.986′ W. Marker is near Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Old Hickory Road 0.2 miles south of Waxhaw Village Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other Elizabeth Hutchinson Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Waxhaw Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); A Nest with a Bird's-Eye View (approx. 2.6 miles away); Footbridge (approx. 2.6 miles away); Culvert (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Canal Bed (approx. 2.6 miles away); Landsford Canal State Park Trails (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Guardlock (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Dam (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mill Complex (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Old Waxhaw Cemetery. The cemetery remains as one of the oldest historic sites in present day Lancaster County and as a visual reminder of that pioneer settlement. The grounds were part of land that belonged to the Reverend Robert Miller, and the land was deeded to the Presbyterian Church in 1757. The Waxhaw Cemetery is probably the most significant site remaining related to the Revolutionary War Era figures Andrew Jackson, William Richardson Davie, and Andrew Pickens, who contributed to the early development of the state and nation. The cemetery also contains noteworthy examples of eighteenth and nineteenth century tombstones. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 837 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.