Pottstown in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The PECO Building
Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
On February 19, 1889, the Pottstown Light, Heat & Power Co., located on Queen St. west of Penn St., along the railroad tracks, brought electricity to Pottstown. That night, High St. was illuminated by a series of 2000 candlepower arc lights. The first private lamp was installed in the clothing store of A. Weitzenkorn & Sons at 145 High St. Local operation of the power plant continued until the Pottstown Light, Heat & Power Co. transferred its stock to the Philadelphia Suburban Gas & Electric Co. on March 19, 1910.
Almost immediately, the new company announced plans to build a new powerplant at this site, the first of its kind in our area. It was to be equipped with three Keeler water-tube boilers of 320 hp rated capacity each. Current from the new plant was officially turned on at the opening ceremonies on March 14, 1912. Until the late-1990's, the Philadelphia Electric Co. continued to use the building as a generation plant and substation.
In 2001, using funds from the Montgomery County “Revitalization Fund,” the Borough purchased the site as a gateway to Riverfront Park. Today, the building has been identified in several planning projects including the “Pottstown Parks” plan, as well as the Pottstown Promenade project, as an important connecting node between High Street and Riverfront Park
—David R. Kerns & David Downs
Erected 2002 by PECO Energy and Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee.
Location. 40° 14.622′ N, 75° 39.202′ W. Marker is in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on College Drive 0.1 miles west of Hanover Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 College Drive, Pottstown PA 19464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freight Station - AAA East Penn (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reading Passenger Station (about 800 feet away); First Iron Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Shuler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Elks Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Security Trust Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weitzenkorn's Clothiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Clair Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pottstown.
Also see . . . Cleanup of PECO Site. (Submitted on October 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.