Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County

 
 
Franklin Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
1. Franklin Academy Marker
Inscription.
Franklin Academy
Organized in 1825, was the most widely-known of the four schools that occupied this site. Henry Connelly was its first principal. J. Marion Sims who later achieved world fame as a surgeon was one of its pupils. The building of brick was said by Robert Mills to be a fine structure, two stories high.

Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County
This land has been dedicated to the cause of education since 1799 when Rev. John Brown, Dr. Samuel C. Dunlap, Wm. Nisbet, John Ingram, and John Montgomery were named trustees for a school, known in 1802 as Lancaster Academy. It grew into Franklin Academy, 1825, the Graded School, 1893, and Central School, 1915.
 
Erected 1967 by Waxhaws Chapter-Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 29-8.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 34° 43.14′ N, 80° 46.416′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on West Dunlap Street 0.1 miles west of South French Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 West Dunlap Street, Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
2. Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker
At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Jail / Robert Mills (about 600 feet away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 700 feet away); Leroy Springs House (about 800 feet away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas H Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Springs Block (approx. mile away); Lancaster (approx. mile away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
3. Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker
Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
4. Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker
Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
5. Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker
Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
6. Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County Marker
Current school on the property. image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
7. Current school on the property.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   7. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement