Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Leroy Springs House
The original part of this house was built by Robert W. Gill soon after he purchased the lot in 1828. About thirty years later, it was enlarged by Samuel B. Massey. Local textile manufacturer and banker Col. Leroy Springs remodeled the house 1906-1907. Springs' son Elliott, noted author and World War I flying ace, was born here, 1896. The house became city hall after a 1957 lease-purchase agreement with the city of Lancaster.
Erected 1988 by Lancaster County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 29-17.)
Location. 34° 43.104′ N, 80° 46.266′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gay Street and South Catawba Street, on the right when traveling east on West Gay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Gay Street, Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jail / Robert Mills (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Springs Block (about 500 feet away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 500 feet away); Lancaster (about 500 feet away); Thomas H Davis Lancaster County Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away); The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (about 700 feet away); Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (about 800 feet away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Leroy Springs House. The Leroy Springs House is an impressive two-story, frame residence in downtown Lancaster that was converted to municipal use as a city hall in 1957. An original section of the building was constructed around 1820-30. The house was greatly enlarged in the mid-1850s and it took its present appearance in a ca. 1906-07 remodeling. (Submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 850 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.