Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Occoquan in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ellicott’s Mill

 
 
Ellicott's Mill Marker (Obverse) image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1. Ellicott's Mill Marker (Obverse)
Inscription. John Ballendine established this gristmill at the Occoquan Falls ca. 1755. By 1800 it was owned by Nathaniel Ellicott and housed machinery to unload grain from wagons or barges, grind it, and return it to its carrier. The building, the region’s first automated gristmill, burned in 1924. Only the Miller’s House, now the Mill House Museum, remains.
 
Erected by Town of Occoquan.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Historic Occoquan marker series.
 
Location. 38° 41.13′ N, 77° 15.731′ W. Marker is in Occoquan, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Mill Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Occoquan VA 22125, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Occoquan (a few steps from this marker); Historic Occoquan - Center for the Processing of Grain (a few steps from this marker); Town of Occoquan (a few steps from this marker); Rockledge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dogue Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Occoquan River Bridges
Ellicott's Mill Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
2. Ellicott's Mill Marker (Reverse)
ca. 1920. Photo by J. Harry Shannon
(within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commerce Street (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Occoquan.
 
Regarding Ellicott’s Mill. The Mill House has been recognized by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Bill of Rights Chapter, as a deserving and eligible site for a marker. The “Merchants Mill House” was orginally recognized in 1970 and a plaque placed on the outside of the Mill House. The original marker (see picture 5) was stolen in 1996. In June of 1997, the Chapter and Historic Occoquan bought and dedicated a new marker jointly and placed it inside the Mill House building (see picture 6).



 
Categories. 20th CenturyAgricultureColonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
The Mill House Museum image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
3. The Mill House Museum
Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
4. Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque
These plaques are placed on buildings the Historical Commission determines as significant in Prince William County's history.
Original DAR plaque. image. Click for full size.
5. Original DAR plaque.
Picture obtained from the Bill of Rights Chapter, NSDAR website, (http://www.jadecat.com/dar/).
Daughters of the American Revolution Plague (located inside museum). image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
6. Daughters of the American Revolution Plague (located inside museum).
Merchants Mill House
1765
Marked by
Bill of Rights Chapter
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
November 1, 1970 Re-Dedicated 1997
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,487 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 9, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement