Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pinopolis in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. John's Church

 
 
St John's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. St John's Church Marker
Inscription. This baptist Church, constituted 1851, constructed the present building here in 1881 on land donated by A.D. Hare, a church trustee.
 
Erected 1993 by Berkeley County Society. (Marker Number 8-28.)
 
Location. 33° 12.662′ N, 80° 2.625′ W. Marker is in Pinopolis, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Sugar Hill Drive (State Highway 8-5) near West Duke Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinopolis SC 29469, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pinopolis (approx. 1.4 miles away); “Sojer Grave” (approx. 1.9 miles away); Berkeley Training High School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School (approx. 3 miles away); Stony Landing Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Rembert C. Dennis Boulevard (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Moncks Corner (approx. 3.2 miles away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 3.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
The St. John's Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
2. The St. John's Baptist Church
Constitutued June 15, 1851 with eight members transferred from Goose Creek and Mt. Olivet Churches. The first location was about one-fourth mile from present site, on a lot donated by William Cain. The first pastor was Reverend D.M. Breaker.
On December 1, 1884, A.D. Hare conveyed a one acre lot on which the present building now stands and the church was relocated there. September 26, 1926, the members of St. John's Church transferred their membership to Moncks Corner Church and St. John's Church lay dormant until April 5, 1970, at which time the building was renovated and services were resumed. The building and grounds are now in the custody of The First Baptist Church of Moncks Corner, South Carolina.
This plaque is erected to the Glory of God and in the Memory of Rev. Joe W. Metts by his family and friends.
St John's Church Marker along Sugar Hill Drive (State Road 8-5) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
3. St John's Church Marker along Sugar Hill Drive (State Road 8-5)
St John's Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
4. St John's Church
St John's Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 29, 2009
5. St John's Church
St, John's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 31, 2012
6. St, John's Church Marker
St, John's Church , A.D. Hare ( a church trustee ) grave image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 31, 2012
7. St, John's Church , A.D. Hare ( a church trustee ) grave
St, John's Church Senator Rembert Coney Dennis image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 31, 2012
8. St, John's Church Senator Rembert Coney Dennis
President Pro Tempore
1984 - 1988

S.C. Senate
1943 - 1988

S.C. House
of Representatives
1939 - 1942
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6, 7, 8. submitted on June 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement