Near Heath Springs in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mt. Carmel Campground
According to local tradition, this African Methodist Episcopal Zion Campground was established c.1870. Instrumental in organizing the campground was former slave Isom Caleb Clinton, who was ordained Bishop of the church in 1892. Through the years the campground has flourished; hundreds now participate in the annual ecumenical encampment.
( Mt. Carmel A.M.E.Z. Campground was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Frederick A. Clinton (1834-1890), organizer and lifetime trustee of Mt. Carmel, brother of Bishop I. C. Clinton and the first Lancaster County black elected to the S.C. Senate (1870-1877), is buried here.
Erected 1981 by Mt. Carmel A.M.E. Zion Church. (Marker Number 29-13.)
Location. 34° 35.814′ N, 80° 46.671′ W. Marker is near Heath Springs, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Mt. Carmel Road 0.2 miles south of Bayspring Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Heath Springs SC 29058, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of James Marion Sims, M.D. (approx. 3˝ miles away); Stoneboro Camp Creek Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Warrenton Muster Ground (approx. 5.3 miles away); Birthplace of Dr. James Marion Sims (approx. 5.4 miles away); Battle of Hanging Rock (approx. 5.9 miles away); James Ingram Home (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Battle Of The Hanging Rock (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Heath Springs.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,527 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.