Narrowsburg in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Delaware / Narrowsburg’s History
Upper Delaware Scenic Byway
< Fort Delaware Side: >
The present day Fort, a replica of the frontier “lower fort” of the Cushetunk settlement of 1755-1785, was originally located six miles up river near Milanville, Pennsylvania. Another fort was situated further up river in the Cushetunk settlement.
Fort Delaware is “dedicated to the Connecticut Yankees, who settled in the Delaware Valley.” The first settlers, farmers of English descent who came primarily from eastern Connecticut, formed “The Delaware Company” and purchased land from the Lenape Indians, signing the first deed in 1754. The Lenape referred to this ten-mile long strip along both sides of the Delaware River as “Cushetunk,” or something that sounds similar, which means either “a place of red stone hills” or “low lands washed over by water.”
By 1760 there were thirty cabins, a gristmill and sawmill. Each spring saw the arrival of more settlers who faced hardships probably never conceived of in Connecticut: a remote wilderness, rough winters, the possibility of Indian attacks and the concern that farming the land might not sustain them. In 1761 a stockade was erected around three homes to serve as protection for the entire settlement against attack.
The settlers came into the area during the
The timber business was introduced into the community in 1794. It became a very successful operation resulting in a steady flow of cash which increased the development of Cushetunk. In the years between the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution, people abandoned the fort as the threat of Native American attack decreased and built what they called “fair houses”.
< Narrowsburg’s History Side: >
Narrowsburg, located in the town of Tusten, was established in 1853, when the town was separated from the Town of Lumberland. The town is named for Lt. Col. Benjamin Tusten of Goshen, New York, who was one of the fallen heroes of the July 22, 1779 Revolutionary War Battle of Minisink.
The history of the region is tied to the river, commerce and transportation.
Later in the 1800’s the railroad carried people from the New York City area seeking relief from the stifling heat of the city. From the 1930’s through the 1950’s, thousands of New York City Boy Scouts arrived by rail to attend the nearby Ten Mile River Scout Camps. At the present time, there are two railroad-dependent businesses in Narrowsburg: a feed mill and a lumberyard.
Now visitors, arriving year-round in their personal vehicles, still seek the same things: beautiful surroundings and relief from city life. Narrowsburg’s lively streetscape is anchored by the Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, and businesses oriented to both visitors and the local community. The annual RiverFest and EagleFest events draw thousands of visitors to Main Street. Narrowsburg is known as the Eagle Capital of New York State.
Arts and entertainment events
Location. 41° 36.846′ N, 75° 3.404′ W. Marker is in Narrowsburg, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on New York State Route 97, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Narrowsburg NY 12764, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Delaware (a few steps from this marker); Fort Delaware Museum (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Dunn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dexter Manufacturing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tusten Town Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Oasis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town of Tusten (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Narrowsburg.
More about this marker.
The marker’s “Narrowsburg’s History” side also contains a series of photographs. Photos include: “The Tusten Theatre The Delaware Valley Arts Alliance presents live concerts, operas, theatre, films and media. The Tusten Theatre was renovated in 1989-90 through a HUD grant obtained by U.S. Representative Benjamin Gilman and in partnership with Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, the Town of Tusten, and the Sullivan County Planning Department.”, “Summer Visitors In the summertime, the many boarding houses in the region filled with families enjoying the surrounding countryside’s quiet beauty and cool air. In the fall, hunters returned.” , “Railroad Town The coming of the Erie Railroad in 1848 brought more track-side ‘eating houses’ and hotels. Many of the German and Irish immigrant laborers who helped build the railroad stayed in the area and their descendants still populate the region.”, “Ice Harvest Ice was harvested every winter from the Big Eddy. Notice the covered bridge crossing the river at the narrow point.”, and “Products to Market As the lumber and related tanning bark businesses faded, agriculture remained strong and bluestone quarrying grew in importance. The railroad carried these products to market. Here, eggs are readied for the trip to New York City.”
Also see . . .
1. Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History. Sullivan County website. (Submitted on October 31, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History. (Submitted on October 31, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,748 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.