Mason in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1922, during the infancy of broadcast radio, the call letters WLW were assigned to the station begun by Cincinnatian Powell Crosley Jr. The station moved its transmitting operations to Mason in 1928, and by April 17, 1934, WLW had permission to operate experimentally at 500,000 watts. Becoming the first and only commercial radio station to broadcast at this "superpower," WLW was formally opened at 500,000 watts by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 2, 1934. Using its 831-foot Blaw-Knox antenna to broadcast at ten times the power of any station, it earned the title "The Nation's Station." Locals reported hearing broadcasts on barbed wire fences, milking machines, rainspouts, water faucets, and radiators. The custom built transmitter, a joint venture between RCA, GE, and Westinghouse, remained in operation until March 1, 1939 when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ordered the station to return to broadcasting at 50,000 watts.
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Mason Historical Society, City of Mason, Warren County Board of Commissioners, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-83.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3650 Tylersville Road, Monroe OH 45050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Voice of America Bethany Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio (approx. 3.2 miles away); Union Township Town Hall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Union Village (approx. 7 miles away); The Ramsey/Paxton Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away but has been reported missing); White Pillars (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mounts Station (approx. 8.1 miles away); Thomas Corwin (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Also see . . . History of the WLW Blaw-Knox Antenna. (Submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Communications • Government • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,235 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.