Nahunta in Brantley County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 013-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 12.191′ N, 81° 58.914′ W. Marker is in Nahunta, Georgia, in Brantley County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 301) near Brantley Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nahunta GA 31553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail Ridge (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia. Brantley County (Submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. B & W Railroad
The Brunswick & Albany was organized in 1869 to take over the operation of the defunct Brunswick and Florida Railroad, which did not survive the Civil War. Poors 1869-70 Manual reported that the road “at the present time is in the condition as after dismantlement in 1863.” In that year the Confederate government had seized the line so that its rails could be taken up for reuse on more militarily important roads.
Early in 1869 the Georgia General Assembly approved aid for the rebuilding of the line. By May of that year the tracks were open from Brunswick to the Atlantic & Gulf Railroad at Tebeauville (now Waycross). Trains did not reach Albany, however, until October of 1871.
The old branch line between Schlatterville and Glenmore (a part of the original main line) had become unnecessary and was abandoned.
In 1872 the General Assembly nullified a bond issue for the railroad. It entered receivership that year and was sold under foreclosure the following year. In 1882 it was once again reorganized, emerging under the new name Brunswick and Western Railroad. (Railroad History)
— Submitted November 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 999 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.