Bethany in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
Side A: First Jain Temple in Ohio
"Souls render service to one another"
The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of Ohio. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Ohio, was laid down on August 21-22, 1994. The temple was dedicated on September 2-4, 1995 when more than one thousand people from all over Ohio and many other states participated in holy rituals to install three idols of Jinas (Gods). The Jain Center is a place for the teaching of non-violence, reverence for life, and compassion for all beings. The center was the home of the twelfth biennial convention for the Federation of Jain Associations in North America, which was held on July 3-6, 2003.
(Continued on other side)
Side B: History of Jainism in Ohio
"Ahimsa Parmodharma - Non injury to all living beings"
Shri Virchand Raghavji Gandhi, a disciple of Acharya Vijayanandsuriji (Atmaramji) Maharaj, introduced the Jain religion to North America during the Parliament of the World's Religions, which was held in Chicago on September 11-27, 1893. A year later, on September 18, 1894, he introduced Jainism to Ohio during a visit to Cleveland. The Jain religion and its teachings
(Continued on other side)
Erected 2003 by Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 22.768′ N, 84° 22.585′ W. Marker is in Bethany, Ohio, in Butler County. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the east facade of the Jain Temple. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6798 Cincinnati-Dayton Road, Middletown OH 45044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Voice of America Bethany Station (approx. 2 miles away); Blaw-Knox Antenna Interurban Railway and Terminal Company: Rapid Railway (approx. 4 miles away); Chrisholm (approx. 6.3 miles away); Woodsdale (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Amish Mennonite Settlement (approx. 6.4 miles away); Road of Remembrance (approx. 6.7 miles away); Union Village (approx. 6.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker number, 45-31, on the face of the marker is wrong. The number on The Ohio Historical Society list is 19-9. “9” indicates Butler County, the county where the marker is located. “31” is for Hamilton County, the adjacent county.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons • Peace •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,176 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of side 2 • Can you help?