Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Peabody Library

 
 
The Peabody Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
1. The Peabody Library Marker
Inscription. In 1857, George Peabody’s founding letter dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation for their “kindness and hospitality.” The Massachusetts-born philanthropist eventually moved to London where he built one of the largest mercantile houses in the world.

The Peabody Institute, according to George Peabody’s charter, originally comprised a free public library, a lecture series, a conservatory of music, and an art collection. The Peabody Library building, which opened in 1878, was designed by Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind, in collaboration with the first provost, Dr. Nathaniel H. Morison. Renowned for its striking architechtural interior, the Peabody Stack Room contains five tiers of ornamental cast iron balconies, which rise dramatically to the skylight 61 feet above the floor. The ironwork was created by the Barrett-Robbins Company foundry. The library reflects for the most part the scholarly interests of the nineteenth century.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, the Peabody Library of the Johns Hopkins University, sponsor, William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.835′ N, 76° 36.916′ 
The Peabody Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. The Peabody Library Marker
An newer marker dealing with the subject and the Peabody Conservatory is to the left of the door.
W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of East Mount Vernon Place and N. Charles Street, on the right when traveling east on East Mount Vernon Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 East Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Peabody Conservatory (here, next to this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Contributing to Society (within shouting distance of this marker); To George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); A Monumental Mistake (within shouting distance of this marker); A Monumental Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating Culture (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial To Edward Berge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Regarding The Peabody Library. “George Peabody came to Baltimore in 1815 and set up a dry goods business, Riggs, Peabody & Company, but later moved to London in 1837 to become a financier. He did not forget Baltimore though, and in 1857 he donated $1.4 million to establish
George Peabody (1795–1869) image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
3. George Peabody (1795–1869)
1890 bronze by William Wetmore Story (1819–1895) is approx. 7 feet high on a 6½ foot high base. Bronze plaque on back reads, “This statue presented to the City of Baltimore April 7, 1890 by Robert Garrett (1847–1896) President of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad 1884-1887.” The sculpture is a copy of one commissioned for London in 1869. It is located at Mt. Vernon Place, East Garden.
the Peabody Institute. When the Institute was finished in 1878, it contained a library which housed 300,000 volumes for the study of arts and sciences.” —Smithsonian Institution Research Information System
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducationNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,724 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 10, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on September 10, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Exterior and interior photographs of the library. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement