West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Black Maria
Edison National Historic Site, NJ
The Edison Company used the Black Maria to produce short films, ranging in length from a few seconds to two minutes. In 1901, Edison opened a new studio in Manhattan, then moved film production to the Bronx in 1905. No longer needed, the original Black Maria was demolished in 1903. This replica was built in 1954.
Erected by Edison National Historic Site, National Park Service.
Location. 40° 47.059′ N, 74° 14.025′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Orange NJ 07052, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Maria Replica (here, next to this marker); Making Movies (a few steps from this marker); Edison Cement Slab (a few steps The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the First Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Main Gate (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Orange.
More about this marker. A picture of the Black Maria appears along the bottom of the marker, with a caption of “Edison’s employees opened the roof of the Black Maria and rotated it on wooden tracks to keep sunlight on the stage while filming.” Elsewhere on the marker are scenes from two films made by Edison. The set of pictures along the right side of the marker are from a film called “The Kiss (1896)” and includes the caption “John Rice and May Irwin came to West Orange to recreate this scene from their New York success, ‘The Widow Jones.’ Less than one minute long, The Kiss was one of
Many years after the fight, Corbett recalled, ‘The Black Maria certainly did look like an old-fashioned police patrol wagon. We hadn’t been inside very long before most of us would have preferred a police patrol at that – for the little moveable studio was the hottest, most crowded place I have ever known.’”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at the Laboratory Complex of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
Also see . . .
1. Thomas Edison National Historical Park, New Jersey. Nation Park Service website. (Submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. “The Kiss (1896)” from "The Widow Jones.". Library of Congress. (Submitted on July 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. 1894 prizefight between Corbett and Courtney. Round 1 of James "Gentlemen Jim" Corbett's boxing match with Peter Courtney filmed at Thomas Edison's Black Maria studio. (Submitted on July 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.