Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Braselton in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Braselton Family

 
 
The Braselton Family Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 16, 2006
1. The Braselton Family Marker
Inscription. In 1876 William H. Braselton, Sr. and his wife, Susan Hosch Braselton, established a 796-acre farm in western Jackson County . The Braseltonsí children, Henry, Green, John Oliver, Belle, and Lena , grew up working on the family farm, developing several support businesses such as a store and fertilizer operation. The arrival of first the railroad in 1902 and then a state highway in 1927 allowed expansion of farming operations. In 1916 the town of Braselton was incorporated. In addition to the farm, the development of a mercantile and grocery business as well as a grist and flour mill led the brothers to form Braselton Brothers, Inc. in 1921. Braselton Brothers also funded local schools, and published the monthly Four County Booster from 1912-1933.
 
Erected 2006 by The Georgia Historical Society and the Braselton Memorial Cemetery Foundation. (Marker Number 78-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 6.407′ N, 83° 45.717′ W. Marker is in Braselton, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is on Green Street (Georgia Route 53) 0 miles south of Henry Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The Marker
The Braselton Family Marker and Braselton Town Hall Sign image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
2. The Braselton Family Marker and Braselton Town Hall Sign
is at the Braselton City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4982 Highway 53, Braselton GA 30517, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Braselton School Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoschton Train Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 7.6 miles away); Jackson Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 8.1 miles away).
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommercePolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
The W. H. Braselton Home image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
3. The W. H. Braselton Home
House is now used at the Braselton Town Hall. The marker stands near the house.
The W. H. Braselton Home image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 2, 2009
4. The W. H. Braselton Home
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,896 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on November 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on November 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement