Near Weems in Lancaster County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number J-86.)
Location. 37° 40.883′ N, 76° 25.4′ W. Marker is near Weems, Virginia, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Christ Church Road (County Route 646) just south of Weems Road (Virginia Route 222), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weems VA 22576, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corotoman (here, next to this marker); Christ Church Lancaster Irvington World War I Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); A. T. Wright High School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Albert Terry Wright (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dr. Morgan E. Norris (approx. 3 miles away); 69 Slaves Escape to Freedom (approx. 3.1 miles away); The War of 1812/Capture of the Dolphin (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weems.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older marker with the same title and number that read “Christ Church was built in 1732, on the site of an older church by Robert (“King”) Carter, who reserved one quarter of it for seating his tenants and servants. It is one of the very few colonial churches in America that have never been altered, a typical early eighteenth-century structure. Robert Carter is buried here.”
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Formation of Christ Church Parish. “Though Christ (Submitted on November 8, 2009.)
1. Transcription of the Inscription of Robert Carter's Tomb
A picture of Robert Carter's tomb is below. The original inscription is in Latin:
Senatus Rogator et Quaestor sub serenissimis Principibus Gulielmo, Anna, Georgio Primo et Secundo.
A publicis concilliis concillii per sexennium praeses; plus anno Coloniae Praefectus, cum regiam dignitatem et publicam libertatem aequali jure asseruit.
Opibus amplissimis bene partis instructus, aedem hanc sacram, in Deum pietatis grande monumentum propriis sumptibus extruit.
In omnes quos
Primo Juditham, Johannis Armistead, Armigeri, filiam; deinde Betty, generose Landonorum stripe oriundam, sibi connubio junctas habuit: e quibus prolem numerosam suscepit, in qua erudienda pecuniae vim maximam insumpsit.
Tandem honorum et dierum satur, cum omnia vitae munera egregiae praestitisset, obiit Pri. Non. Aug. An. Dom. 1732, aet 69.
Miseri Solamen, viduae praesiduum, orbi patrem, ademptum lugent.
Translated into English, it reads:
The Honorable Robert Carter, Esquire, a man who adorned good breeding with exceptional gifts and time-honored morals. As a Governor of the College of William and Mary, he was its champion in perilous times.
Speaker of the House and Treasurer under the most serene Sovereigns William, Anne, George the First and Second.
While in the general assembly he became president of the council for a period of six years; for more than a year while acting Governor of the Colony, he defended with equal justice the royal authority and the common freedom.
Provided with extensive wealth worthily acquired, he erected at this own expense this sacred building as a great monument of devoted duty towards God. He enriched it.
To all whom he courteously
He joined to himself in marriage, first Judith, the daughter of John Armistead, Esquire; then Betty, descended from the gentle line of Landons; by whom he begot a numerous progeny, in the educating of whome he expended a vast amount of money.
At length, full of honors and of days, having displayed the rewards of an illustrious life, he died on the fourth day of August in the year of our Lord 1732, at the age of 69.
The unhappy mourn the comfort, the widows the protection, and the orphans the father, taken away from them.
— Submitted August 18, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,367 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. More detailed photos of the church exterior. • • Can you help?