Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 034-1B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 30.503′ N, 82° 51.032′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County. Marker is on South Peterson Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between West Ward Street (State Road 32W) and West Ashley Street (State Road 32E). Marker is in this post office area: Douglas GA 31533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Coffee County Coffee County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Tri - Hi - Y International (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Raymond-Richardson Aviation School (approx. 2 miles away); Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away).
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia entry. In 1858 Douglas was established as the county seat. It was named after U.S. senator Stephen Arnold Douglas of Illinois, Douglas who became popular because of his rivalry with Abraham Lincoln for the U.S. presidency. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 605 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.