Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The March to the Sea
That afternoon, Jacksonís and Gearyís division, 20th Corps, moved to Tennille (3 miles S) to destroy the railroad from that point to Davisboro. Next morning, Wardís division, 20th Corps, and Carlinís division, 14th Corps, moved to Davisboro with the artillery and trains of both corps. Morganís and Bairdís divisions, 14th Corps, moved to Fennís Bridge (13 miles NE), crossed the Ogeechee River, then turned toward Louisville.
On the 27th, Gen. Sherman, who had accompanied the Left Wing from Atlanta to Sandersville, changed to the Right Wing (15th and
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 150-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 32° 59.235′ N, 82° 46.918′ W. Marker is in Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is on East McCarty Street (Georgia Route 24) 0.1 miles west of McDaniel Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1282 East McCarty Street, Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Brown House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Saunderís Store (approx. 1.7 miles away); Washington County World War II Monuments (approx. 1.7 miles away); Washington County World War I Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Washington County World War II Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Washington County Korean Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Washington County Viet Nam War Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandersville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.