Montrose in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Randolph County / Tucker County
Formed from Harrison in 1787. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart's Valley in War between the states largely determined control of W.Va.
Formed in 1856 from Randolph. Named for Henry St. George Tucker, Virginia statesman and jurist. In this county is the Fairfax Stone, marking the boundry of the vast Fairfax estate. Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley among features.
Erected 2009 by West Virginia Archives & History.
Location. 39° 5.475′ N, 79° 47.149′ W. Marker is in Montrose, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on U.S. 219, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montrose WV 26283, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seneca Trail (approx. one mile away); Corrick's Ford (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford (approx. 5.4 miles away); Corricks Ford Battlefield Corricks Ford Battlefield (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford (approx. 5½ miles away); The Corrick House (approx. 5½ miles away); Parsons / Corrick's Ford (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Categories. • Natural Features • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 687 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.