Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valhalla in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Reuben Wright’s Mills

 
 
Reuben Wright’s Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
1. Reuben Wright’s Mills Marker
Inscription.
Near this site stood
Reuben Wright’s Mills,
Headquarters of General Washington
from July 20th to 25th 1778, also occupied by other Revolutionary Generals.
The mills were in Old Kensico Village now inundated by the waters of Kensico Lake.
These millstones were placed by the White Plains Chapter D.A.R. Oct. 28th 1932 on the 156th anniversary of the Battle of White Plains 1776.
 
Erected 1932 by White Plains Chapter D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 41° 5.358′ N, 73° 45.068′ W. Marker is in Valhalla, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is on Mt. Kisco Road (New York State Route 22) half a mile north of Old Orchard Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valhalla NY 10595, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reuben Wright’s Mill (here, next to this marker); Lockheed T-33 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Joseph T. Miller (approx. 2.5 miles away); North Castle World War II Monument
Reuben Wright’s Mills Marker and Millstones image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
2. Reuben Wright’s Mills Marker and Millstones
(approx. 2.5 miles away); Merritt Hill (approx. 2.8 miles away); The War for American Independence (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Merritt Hill (approx. 2.9 miles away); U.S. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement