Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bon Secours Hospital

 
 
Bon Secours Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
1. Bon Secours Hospital Marker
Inscription. Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the following year. The sisters were soon widely known for their long hours and compassionate care of the sick. Bon Secours Hospital began here with 22 beds in 1919. Marker erected in 1981 to celebrate 100 years of health care on this site.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 17.29′ N, 76° 38.926′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on West Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2000 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore MD 21223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Rosemond and the Movement Against Destruction (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother Lange and the Oblate Sisters of Providence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lucille Clifton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clarence and Parren Mitchell (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Maddox Family and Time Printers (approx.
Bon Secours Hospital from W. Baltimore Street image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
2. Bon Secours Hospital from W. Baltimore Street
0.4 miles away); William “Little Willie” Adams and Victorine Quille Adams (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Arabbers (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Royal Theater & Pennsylvania Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .
1. Cardinal Gibbons. (Submitted on September 11, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. The Sisters of Bon Secours – Our History. “The Sisters of Bon Secours provided the world’s first recorded formal home health care service as well as the first day care facility in Baltimore in 1907 to help working mothers whose only alternative was to place their children in orphanages. St. Edmond’s Home for Crippled Children, established in 1916, was the first Catholic home for the physically challenged.” (Submitted on May 14, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNotable PersonsScience & Medicine
 
Bon Secours Hospital from W. Fayette Street image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
3. Bon Secours Hospital from W. Fayette Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,759 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement