Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Perry Hall in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Germantown

 
 
Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Marks, July 26, 2008
1. Germantown Marker
This is the second historic marker erected by community leaders as part of a historical education campaign lauched in 2007; the first was at Camp Chapel. The marker was constructed by Catskill Castings of New York.
Inscription. After the Civil War, dozens of immigrant families moved into the area. The village of Germantown started here, later known as Perry Hall.
 
Erected 2008 by Perry Hall Improvement Association.
 
Location. 39° 24.781′ N, 76° 27.818′ W. Marker is in Perry Hall, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Belair Road (U.S. 1) near Baker Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9616 Belair Road, Nottingham MD 21236, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Perry Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 1.2 miles away); Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camp Chapel (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.5 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park (approx. 1.5 miles away); Gunpowder Copper Works (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Baltimore and Harford Turnpike Company (approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry Hall.
 
Also see . . .
1. Perry Hall Online. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
2. Perry Hall in the Early Nineteenth Century
Pillhofer's Blacksmith Shop image. Click for full size.
circa 1890
2. Pillhofer's Blacksmith Shop
Pillhofer's blacksmith shop was located at 9641 Belair Road in Germantown. John Pillhofer started acquiring land in 1859, and by 1866 he had more than 48 acres. One of the earlier families in the area, it was nonetheless an important part of Germantown.
. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
3. Immigration and Change: Perry Hall Around 1875. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Perry Hall Methodist Church Gathering, Germantown Era image. Click for full size.
circa 1870s
3. Perry Hall Methodist Church Gathering, Germantown Era
In this photograph, parishioners of the Perry Hall Methodist Church at 9515 Belair Road gathered to present the church's new reed organ. Identified here are Gibbons Moore (1812-1900) with his hand on the organ, and his son George Moore, sitting on the organ stool. The development of Germantown introduced Catholic and Lutheran churches into the area, once strongly Methodist.
Dedication of the Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Glotia Marks, July 26, 2008
4. Dedication of the Germantown Marker
The Perry Hall Improvement Association dedicated the Germantown marker on Saturday, July 26, 2008.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on November 14, 2009, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement