Sharon in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First National Bank of Sharon
This bank, built in 1909-10 by W.W. Blair, was the first bank in the town of Sharon, incorporated in 1889. Its first officers were J.H. Saye, president; J.L. Rainey, vice president; and A.M. Haddon, cashier. From 1910 to 1929 the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced national bank notes for this bank. It was the only bank in western York County to survive the Depression.
At the time of its merger with First Citizens Bank in 1986 the First National Bank of Sharon was the oldest continuously operating national bank in York County. The bank, with its distinctive arched corner entrance, is part of the Sharon Downtown Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Erected 2008 by Culture & Heritage Museums of York County, First Citizens Bank, and the Rainey Foundation. (Marker Number 46-32.)
Location. 34° 57.072′ N, 81° 20.412′ W. Marker is in Sharon, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of York Street (State Highway 49) and Woodlawn Street, on the left when traveling north on York Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4028 Woodlawn Street, Sharon SC 29742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Town of Sharon / Sharon (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Sharon Stone Marker (about 700 feet away); Dickey - Sherer House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Blairsville Schools (approx. 3.3 miles away); Hickory Grove Schools (approx. 4.6 miles away); Hickory Grove (approx. 4.6 miles away); Unity Academy (approx. 5½ miles away); Barnett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1945 / Bennett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1938 (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight (approx. 6.3 miles away); York County Courthouse (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon.
Also see . . .
1. Sharon Downtown Historic District. The Sharon Downtown Historic District is a significant collection of commercial and industrial buildings which illustrate the development of the commercial core of the small community of Sharon since its beginnings in the late 1880s. (Submitted on January 31, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Sharon, South Carolina. Sharon is a town in southwestern York County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. York County, South Carolina. York County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Official website of the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. First National Bank of Sharon (1909), 4028 Woodlawn Street
This one-story brick cuilding with limestone features was built by contractor W.W. Blair for the First National Bank of Sharon. The one-part commercial building features a corner entrance with arched openings to provide access to the recessed entrance from both Woodlawn and York Streets. The large arches have keystones and are supported by a single tapered column at the corner. The south side has a large tripartite window with transom and an arched surround with keystone. A smaller one-light window on the south side has a similar design. Above the windows are large vents with brick surrounds and decorative limestone blocks. The walls are capped by brock corbelling. The west side, which faces Woodlawn Street, has similar fenestration but with fewer decorative elements. To the east is a one-story brick addition. The building currently (2001) houses a branch of First Citizens Bank of South
— Submitted January 31, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.