Near Newburg in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William and Mary Parish
By F. Robby, November 10, 2009
1. Christ Church Marker
Known originally as Piccawaxen, the parish was re-named William and Mary under the Establishment Act of 1692. .
Known originally as Piccawaxen, the parish was re-named William and Mary under the Establishment Act of 1692.
The boyhood church of Thomas John Clagett, first bishop consecrated in the United States (1792), this is the oldest public building in Charles County.
Erected by Charles County Civil War Centennial Commission.
Location. 38° 21.23′ N, 76° 56.329′ W. Marker is near Newburg, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is on Rock Point Road (Maryland Route 257) 0.1 miles north of Morgantown Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newburg MD 20664, United States of America.
Opposite side, facing Episcopal Church Lane. The brick gate was built in 1932.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,315 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.